Village Centre

Known as “the green” even though there is relatively little ‘green’ to be seen, but this is right at the centre of the village of Chrishall today.

Click on a photograph or article title to read more.

War Memorial

War Memorial

The War Memorial without railings: October 2015 Chrishall lost eight men in the First World War and another 45 villagers are listed on a board in the Church as serving their country in one way or another.  Many of these names can be found on the 1911 Census of course...
Morris Dancers

Morris Dancers

Cotswold Morris Dancers beside the war memorial with the Red Cow in the background. Appropriately, a Morris 8 is parked on the far side of the green! Premier’s bus garage – since redeveloped with housing – can be seen in the photo...
Village Centre Bungalow

Village Centre Bungalow

This bungalow still stands in front of Barleymans and opposite the village sign, albeit it is much changed. The photograph probably dates from the 1950s. On the left of this photograph can be seen the stripey blind that was covering the shop window as for many years...
Chrishall Mummers

Chrishall Mummers

This lovely photo looking north along Hogs Lane (Brick Row is on the left and The Red Cow is hidden behind the hedge on the right) appears to be of a group of villagers dressed as itinerant tradesmen. Could they be on their way to a village fancy dress event? The...
School 1908

School 1908

This nice study of the primary school is postmarked 1908 and addressed to Mrs King in Barnet. Note how narrow the High Street appears to be. The gate marks the current pedestrian access to Jigneys Meadow.
Village Centre Signpost

Village Centre Signpost

Barleymans is the cottage in the background in the upper photo (lent by John Cane). The rot at the base of the signpost in both photos suggests they are of the same date which, judging by the new appearance of the war memorial in the lower photo (lent by Bruce Drury),...
Martinholme and the village lamp

Martinholme and the village lamp

This picture, taken from where the bus depot later stood and where the ‘new houses’ now stand, shows how rural the centre of the village used to be. The new school site is just to the left of the picture. The white railings in front of the pond can just be...
Red Cow Car Rally 1960s

Red Cow Car Rally 1960s

The photos below are from the Bruce Drury Collection (taken by John Harvey) and date from the mid 1960s. The occasion appears to have been a car...
error: Content is protected !!