Martinholme and the village lamp

Martinholme and the village lamp

This picture, taken from where the bus depot later stood and where the ‘new houses’ now stand, shows how rural the centre of the village used to be. The new school site is just to the left of the picture. The white railings in front of the pond can just be...
Village Lamp!

Village Lamp!

The Old Post Office – this lovely open view is now blocked by the fully grown trees seen as young saplings in this photograph.  The pond is barely discernable but the roadside railings confirm its existence.  The lamp is an interesting feature where the village...
Chrishall church without the spire 1914

Chrishall church without the spire 1914

This photograph was probably taken soon after the spire had been removed.  According to Chrishall Scrapbook this was when the tower was restored in 1914.  Note the lamp opposite the main door.  There seem to be a series of these lamps across the village.  (Click to...
Wire Farm

Wire Farm

Wire Farm c 1914.    Chapel Cottage is in the distance and the Chapel itself can just be seen on the left. The pond appears muddy and the slipway approach to it is clearly visible.  The pond would have been very useful to the farm for washing down carts as well as...