We have recently been asked the reason behind the name Engleric and are delighted to re-produce this article written many years ago for the village magazine. Mrs Irene Cranwell, village historian, wrote articles for many years under the guise of the village pumps. ...
A time of the manors and settlement. This period opens with the Domesday Book recording that there was a substantial manor, Chrishall Bury, here in 1066 and two smaller manors of Crawley Bury and Chiswick Hall. Chrishall Bury was still named on maps as late as 1777, 700 years later!
Some articles for this period
In Chrishall Church there is a large brass that covers (or once covered – it has probably been moved) the tombs of Sir John de la Pole, who died probably in 1380, and his wife Joan (née Cobham), who died probably ten years or so later. And the stone effigy that is...
Search all of Chrishall Village History website: