Select Page
Martinholme and the village lamp

Martinholme and the village lamp

This picture, taken from where the bus depot later stood and where the ‘new houses’ now stand, shows how rural the centre of the village used to be. The new school site is just to the left of the picture. The white railings in front of the pond can just be...
Village Lamp!

Village Lamp!

The Old Post Office – this lovely open view is now blocked by the fully grown trees seen as young saplings in this photograph.  The pond is barely discernable but the roadside railings confirm its existence.  The lamp is an interesting feature where the village...
Winter 1959

Winter 1959

These two photographs were taken in 1959 from Barleymans – (top) looking across to Martenholme Pond and (bottom) looking towards Wire farm (that’s a Premier double decker in the...
Early Martinholme

Early Martinholme

This appears to be an early picture of Martinholme.  The white gates on the left lead to a house that stood where ??? stands now. See village centre 1950s.  
Martinholme The Post Office

Martinholme The Post Office

As well as being the residence of Lettice Martin, Martinholme was also the village Post Office and Bakery from the early 1900’s. The door on the left in this photograph was later removed and a large extension to the building was made on the right....
Martinholme on the green

Martinholme on the green

Martinholme in the centre of Chrishall was once home to Lettice Martin. Mistress Martin lived here in the 1500’s but amazingly her influence is STILL felt in and around the Chrishall area today. Why? Well in her will she left money to be set up as a charity to...
error: Content is protected !!