Village Centre

Known as “the green” even though there is relatively little ‘green’ to be seen, but this is right at the centre of the village of Chrishall today.

Click on a photograph or article title to read more.

  • School 1908

    School 1908

    This nice study of the primary school is postmarked 1908 and addressed to Mrs King in Barnet. Note how narrow the High Street appears to be. The gate marks the current pedestrian access to Jigneys Meadow.

  • Village Centre Signpost

    Village Centre Signpost

    Barleymans is the cottage in the background in the upper photo (lent by John Cane). The rot at the base of the signpost in both photos suggests they are of the same date which, judging by the new appearance of the war memorial in the lower photo (lent by Bruce Drury), is probably early 1920s.…

  • War Memorial 1960s

    War Memorial 1960s

  • Red Cow Car Rally 1960s

    Red Cow Car Rally 1960s

    The photos below are from the Bruce Drury Collection (taken by John Harvey) and date from the mid 1960s. The occasion appears to have been a car rally.

  • Red Cow early 1970s

    Red Cow early 1970s

    The photo on the left probably dates from the early 1970s. At this time the pub was a Flowers house.

  • School 1950s

    School 1950s

  • War Memorial and slate-roofed cottage 1920s

    War Memorial and slate-roofed cottage 1920s

    Looking down Church Road. This beautifully clear picture almost certainly dates from the early 1920s – note the pristine state of the memorial and the children’s dress.  The slate roofed cottage on the left has now been replaced but bears the name of a former owner ‘Ede’s Cottage’. The Gate, the property in the centre…

  • Village Lamps

    Village Lamps

    This picture, taken from where the bus depot later stood and where Loveday Close now stands, shows how rural the centre of the village used to be. The new school site is just to the left of the picture. The white railings in front of the pond can just be seen. The height of the…

  • Winter 1959

    Winter 1959

    These two photographs were taken in 1959 from Barleymans – (top) looking across to Martenholme Pond and (bottom) looking towards Wire farm (that’s a Premier double decker in the distance!)

  • School 1960s and pre 1989

    School 1960s and pre 1989

    Above: Chrishall School c.1960. Long shadows from the east suggest this was taken one winter’s morning and before school had begun. Below: A photogrqaph (Pre-1989) from former Headmaster Ken Wyatt, who took up his post on the opening of the new school in 1973.