We are hoping to put together a list of all the school teachers from the old Chrishall School here. If you remember any we don’t please let us know!
1862: School opens
1901: Head: James French and wife Ellen also a teacher
1911: Head: Miriam Mitchell plus two assistants, Emily Gray and Alithia Garden. None of them were born locally (from the census)
Miss Rogers mentions a Miss Harmer in her recollections from around this time.
1940s: Miss Hile, Kathleen Faulkner, Olive Miller, Connie Patmore who taught the infants and Irene Cranwell
Local memories: “Jessy Ives used to look after the tortoise stove at school and would sprinkle ‘brown stuff’ on the floor to keep the dust down. Lorna Flack, whose father was the baker, Charles Flack, used to clean for Miss Hile in the school house.”
1960s: Mr and Mrs Nelson and Mrs Alcock. The Nelsons were the last people to live in the old school house. They built and moved to Walnut Tree Cottage in Crawley End after which the school house was empty until the new school was built and the old school closed in 1973.
Above: Miss Hile, Connie Patmore and Irene Cranwell.