The Saffron Walden & North Essex Directory 1888 – CHRISHALL.
A scattered parish, 7 miles west of Saffron Walden. Area 2,699 acres; rateable value, 3,014 1s 6d; population in1881, 572. Letters arrive from Royston at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m ; despatched at 5 p.m. week days; Sundays, 10.30 a.m. The Church of The Holy Trinity, situated on an eminence, is an ancient structure, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, with clerestory, aisles, north and south porches, and a western tower surmounted by a short spire, and containing four bells. The body of the church was thoroughly restored in 1868-69 at a cost of 1,300. In the south aisle there is a fine brass dated 1370, of Sir John de la Pole and his wife, Joan (Cobham); there are also brasses of the date 1480. There is also in the wall of the south aisle a monument representing the recumbent figure of a lady, c. 1450.
The living is a vicarage, present yearly value 300, with residence adjoining the church, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans, and held by the Rev. Edmund Leachman, M.A., of St John’s College, Cambridge.
Andrews, Willm, shopkeeper
Dacre, Lord (H Unwin, foreman Wire farm)
Baker, Willm, shoemaker
Jonas, F. Maulkin, Chrishall grange
Brand, Robert, farmer, Bilden End
Pigg, Thomas, farmer
Chambers, Robert, shopkeeper & post-office
Rogers, Moses, carrier
Soole, Willm, carpenter
Clark, C D., schoolmaster
Wallace, Willm, greyhound (sic)
Downham, Philip, steam plough proprietor
Wallman, George, blacksmith
Downham, Mrs., farmer
Wallman, Sarah, Mrs., beer retailer
Drage, Mrs., farmer & machine proprietor, Chiswick Hall
D: 1880 C: 19th Century